Presented here are five recipes that you can cook in your shiny new deep fat fryer. Before you begin however, you must be aware of the hazards of cooking with an appliance that heats oil to extremely high temperatures.
• Carefully read the manual provided with the fryer.
• Ensure that you cook in a dry area. A drop of water in hot oil can have a violent reaction.
• Keep the temperature constant. This can be achieved by cooking in small batches, to prevent the temperature of the oil from dropping due to the food, which is colder.
• The more oil you put in, the more constant the temperature will be. However, do not put too much in! 1/2 or a 1/3 of the fryer should be sufficient.
• 4 boneless chicken breasts, skinned
• 1 beaten egg
• 1/3 cup water
• 1/3 cup flour
• 1 and 1/2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
• 1 and 1/2 teaspoons salt
1. Rinse chicken with cold water. Leave to dry in refrigerator or pat dry with paper towels. Cut into small pieces.
2. Fill the fryer with oil and heat to medium heat.
3. Mix the egg and water in a small bowl. Add flour, sesame seeds and salt, and stir until everything is blended smoothly.
4. Dip the pieces of chicken into the batter. Drain off excess and add them a few pieces at a time, into the fryer. Cook for 4 minutes or until golden brown. Remove chicken and place on paper towels or a grille to drain.
• 0.5kg sea scallops
• 2 eggs
• 2/3 mashed potato flakes
• 2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 1/4 cup butter
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Beat eggs in a bowl
2. Combine potato flakes, bread crumbs, salt and pepper in another bowl.
3. Dip scallops in egg, and then roll in potato mixture.
4. Add scallops into fryer. Cook for 5 minutes or until golden brown.
3/4 cup flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
6 pork chops
2 cups bread crumbs
1. Preheat oil to 350º F.
2. Combine flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt and water until smooth.
3. Dip pork in batter and coat thoroughly. Then coat with bread crumbs.
4. Place pork into fryer. Cook 8 to minutes or until done.
1/2 cup sifted flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1 cup corn meal
1 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1. Mix all the ingredients in a bowl until you get a stiff consistency with the milk. Make sure that it can be scooped with a spoon.
2. Using a teaspoon, scoop the dough and place them carefully into the fryer.
3. Cook until golden brown.
1kg potatoes (Spunta, King Edward, Bintje or Russet Burbank potatoes are recommended)
1. Wash and peel potatoes. Cut into long chips and use a paper towel to pat dry.
2. Heat fryer to medium-high heat. Test the temperature by dropping a small piece of potato skin into the oil. It should sizzle when the temperature is right.
3. Cook chips, 1 batch at a time, until crisp and golden brown. Season with salt and serve immediately.